The examples of subjects of potential projects include (but are not limited to):
- discovery of novel enzymes of industrial relevance from extremophilic microorganisms and their communities;
- cultivation of extremophilic (e.g. hyperacidophilic) archaea;
- microbiology of petroleum degradation in marine environments: cultivation and OMICS studies);
- applications of marine oil-degrading bacteria (enzymes, surfactants, biopolymers, osmolytes);
- culture-independent (metagenomic) analysis of taxonomic composition and functional potential of microbial communities;
- investigation of the role of marine microorganisms and their enzymes in the fate of synthetic polyester plastics;
- application of metabolomics technologies to enzyme discovery (general principles, sample preparation, targeted and discovery mode LC-MS analysis of complex metabolite mixtures and data analysis (bioinformatics).